RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |

Application Process

Starting the Child Support Process

Any parent or guardian of a child may complete an application for child support services for a fee of $20.00. The Office of Child Support Services will assist in the location of a parent, establishing paternity, establishing a child support or medical order and enforcement of all orders. Those parents or guardians receiving benefits from the RI Works Benefits or RIte Care Benefits will receive the services of the child support program without the necessity of completing an application or payment of a fee. Those families are required to cooperate with the Office of Child Support Services. Child support payments are used to repay the welfare benefits paid to families. The family is permitted to receive the first $50.00 of child support payments received as a bonus or disregard payment for cooperating with this agency. Parents who are not receiving RI Works benefits retain all child support collected.

The application is available for you to download from this website or you may contact the child support office at 401-458-4400. You will need to provide detailed information about the other parent and provide documents such as the child's birth certificate, any court orders that pertain to the child and any information regarding the location of the non-custodial parent.

The most important information is the following:

  • Non-custodial parent's name
  • Non-custodial parent's complete address and telephone number
  • Non-custodial parent's employer information and address
  • Non-custodial parent's social security number
  • Information about the non-custodial parent's earnings and investments
  • Names and addresses of the non-custodial parent's relatives
  • Names of unions and / or clubs that the non-custodial parent is affiliated
  • Custodial parent's identification
  • Information about the custodial parent's income
  • Divorce papers or custody papers
  • Birth certificate for the child
  • Proof of any money provided for the child
  • Paternity affidavit

The more complete the information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the non-custodial or custodial parent and provide services. Please be advised you will be assigned a caseworker when you are receiving services. The caseworker may change as time goes on due to caseload numbers.

For your application to be processed correctly please fill out both the Application and Family Court Statement of Assets form.

Additional Forms »

View and download other available Child Support forms and pamplets.