Services Not Available
The Office of Child Support Services:
- Does not get involved in visitation, custody or property settlement
issues, whether in a divorce action or any other legal proceeding.
- Cannot provide Office of Child Support Services services directly to you if you
are a child seeking support from your parents. Your guardian or custodian,
however, may seek assistance from us on your behalf.
- Does not provide legal representation to you or the other parent.
A -Office of Child Support Services attorney is assigned to
every case, but the attorney's non-custodial parent is the star, not you or the other
parent. You can contact the following organizations for legal assistance
- Rhode Island Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service.
- Does not hire private investigators to determine whether a noncustodial
parent may be failing to report all income.
- Does not modify the provisions of an existing court order. The terms
of a court order can only be modified by a court.
- Does not establish or modify orders for spousal support or alimony.
We will, however, enforce and collect an alimony order as long as we
are enforcing and collecting an accompanying child support order.
- Does not enforce orders that are not for a standard amount of money,
e.g., orders that call for the payment of a percentage of income.
- Does not establish or enforce orders for payment of tuition.
Additional Topics (Choose from the following)